AFRICA – The International Criminal Court eased travel restrictions on former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo for the first time Thursday since his acquittal last year over post-election violence that killed 3,000 people. The French News Agency (AFP) said the ICC is allowing Gbagbo to leave Belgium, which agreed to host him after his arrest, provided he returns to court for the prosecution’s appeal of his not guilty verdict.
Gbagbo was the first head of state to stand trial in The Hague. He and his deputy Charles Ble Goude were cleared of crimes against humanity in early 2019, eight years after his arrest.
It is unclear if Gbagbo will return to the Ivory Coast, which is heading toward a presidential election in October. An ICC spokesman said wherever Gbagbo decides to go, the country must approve his stay.
Gbagbo and his deputy denied any wrongdoing in connection with the violence that followed a disputed vote in Ivory Coast in 2010.
KPA News Reader,
KPA – News covers stories that the Kenyan media are afraid to touch. It drives the national debate through real, honest journalism not by misrepresenting or ignoring the facts.
KPA – News is emerging as Kenya’s unbiased media for original, investigative reporting, and for breaking news. We are an organization purely dedicated to this critical mission and we need your help to fuel this fight and we need your support in making sure, we bring to attention, the Kenyan Peoples needs.
Help us by submitting information to our news desk by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
— The KPA News Team